This weekend, we mark another Memorial Day. Who will you be remembering?
On May 2, 2000 - the White House put out a statement that said "As Memorial Day approaches, it is time to pause and consider the true meaning of this holiday. Memorial Day represents one day of national awareness and reverence, honoring those Americans who died while defending our Nation and its values. While we should honor these heroes every day for the profound contribution they have made to securing our Nation's freedom, we should honor them especially on Memorial Day. "
Here are a few ideas for things to do in Vienna this Memorial Day weekend:
1. "The President's Own" (the United States Marine Band) will be playing a FREE concert at Wolftrap on Sunday, May 30th. The concert will be followed by fireworks. Gates open at 6:30PM, show at 8PM, fireworks at 9:45PM.
2. Meet & greet the folks who stay in & around the Vienna area when they come for Rolling Thunder. It's not hard to miss them - just look for the big groups of Harley Davidson riders. These veterans of the Vietnam war convene for a demonstration each year to urge the government to account for all MIA's and POW's and also ride to show their love & respect for veterans and soldiers of all wars. If you want to actually see the "RIDE" on Sunday (it's a very moving sight), the best spots are along the Memorial Bridge & Constitution Avenue.
3. Enjoy the Memorial Day Tribute at Viva Vienna. Viva Vienna is a huge festival that takes place in Vienna each year (rides, vendors, food, entertainment & more!). In the midst of the festival on Monday, stop by the Vienna Town Green for a Memorial Day tribute - FREE - 3 to 4PM
4. Mike Klee's True Blue American Show - Also at Viva Vienna, you'll find a Children's Stage. On Monday at 3PM, your kids might enjoy learning about American history & being entertained at the same time!
5. Call your grandpa, mom, brother, aunt, friend - whomever you know is serving or has served our country and tell them THANK YOU!
6. The Soundry's "Verbal Assault" - May 28th at 8PM at The Soundry in Vienna. One of the freedoms we most celebrate in the United States, is the freedom of speech. This unique event is a weekly celebration of expression. Tonight's theme is "Solitary Confinement". Here's what the web site says: "Verbal Assault has been sentenced to “Silentary Confinement”! What are we to do?!? Use movement, body language, facial expressions, chalk, and the GIANT Whiteboard to express yourself and a party we will have. Once you cross the threshold of silence, not a sound we will make, but we will be heard. Most communicative will be awarded an awesome prize. Watch out for the Improper Imps!"
7. Stop in at one of Vienna's many churches to attend a service or say a prayer for peace & for protection of our armed forces. There are too many churches in Vienna to list them all, but here are a few options - St. Mark Catholic Church, Vienna Presbyterian Church, First Baptist Church of Vienna, Church of the Holy Comforter, Wesley United Methodist Church, Vienna Baptist Church, Our Lady of Good Counsel.
8. Lastly, what's more "All-American" than baseball? (You know how we love baseball here at TheresNoPlaceLikeVienna.com!) There are some great games going on in Vienna this weekend. Stop by Waters Field during the weekend to see Vienna Babe Ruth's Senior League games. Or stop by James Madison High School tonight (May 28th) at 7PM to see Madison take on Hayfield in the Northern Region tournament. Madison will also host the Northern Region Quarterfinals on Monday at 1PM and 4PM.
There are LOTS of other great ways to celebrate Memorial Day in the Washington DC area. But whatever you do, make sure you remember why we mark this day.
Happy Memorial Day!